Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Years Goal check-in


At the beginning of the year, I wrote this post about my goals for 2012.  Goals, not resolutions, because I want something to work toward, not something to feel guilty about 'failing' at.  Since we're a few weeks into the year (and I could use a reminder, myself) I thought we'd check in and see how I'm doing :)

1) Make an effort with my appearance. Well - I'm doing better.  I still have t-shirt-and-jeans days, but I think I've only worn yoga pants twice since setting this goal.  I've actually felt 'cute' several days in a row, and I've even remembered makeup more than once a week.  I think I'm slowly coming out of "new mom" mode (even though my daughter is 13 months now - sad I know) and starting to feel like a "hot mom" again (instead of like a "hot mess"...). I just tried on a bunch of clothes and realized a lot more fits me than I thought, so I'm excited to put together some new outfits!

2) I will work out every day even if I only do 20 situps. um - not so much.  I've been more active - like dancing around the house while I clean and running around on Grandma's farm on Sundays - but I think I've only had one actual day of "working out."  I guess it's a start, but I really need to get in gear.  I'm trying to find the time to squeeze in some yoga classes as well - I think it would help a ton in stretching the amount of time I can go between chiropractor appointments (yay saving money). 

3) Eat a healthy diet 5 days a week. My menu planning has been really good.  My meals have been clean, but not the vegan-detox-craziness I was trying to live on before.  This is sustainably healthy.  Lots of veggies and lean meats.  Lots of slow-cooker meals.  And a moderate amount of super dark chocolate.  Just enough to keep me from going off the deep end and baking myself into oblivion, but not enough to add a significant amount of calories to my diet.  One of these days I fully intend to start logging my calories at myfitnesspal.com again - but in the meantime, I'm taking things one step at a time.  Higher protein breakfasts so I'm not led by a ravenous stomach through the drive-through at lunch.  More veggies in my dinners.  Fruit or low-fat cheese for a snack.  It's the little things that count.  And yes, Friday nights and Sundays are still 'anything goes' - though I'm still trying to keep moderation in mind.

4) Get up at 6:30. Yes, I've generally been waking up at 6:30 on preschool days.  Non-preschool days I let us all sleep in till 7:30 or 8:00 - because apparently I still haven't learned that consistency is the best thing for circadian rhythms.  Oh well - like I said - baby steps.  I do, however, have a terrible habit of frittering away my time and still running late.  I'm working on it.  We have had some leisurely mornings where the breakfast is made before the kids are shaken awake at 7:30 and we get to preschool early.  It's amazing.  I'm aiming to make that a regular thing.

5) I will make quiet-hour shorter. Well - we've gone from 2.5 hours to 2-2.25 hours.  It's a little better.  Again, I'm still trying to do too many things at once and I need to cut back.  A big helper is writing my blog posts the night before while hubby is at the gym. If I can keep that up, quiet hours might get to be an actual hour (where I mostly sleep).  Nice.

6) To that end - Spend less time on the computer.  Well, I'm still on the computer alllll the time.  But I'm getting better about only doing it when I wake and during quiet hour which means that (cleaning and cooking aside), all my other time is going toward hanging out with my kids.  We're doing fun things like making cotton-ball snowmen, "iceskating" around the house with magazines taped to our feet, and reading our way through the complete works of Berenstain Bears.  It's wonderful and lovely and I fully intend to keep it up.

7) Keep a tidier, cleaner house. Doing ok here.  I have a menu and chore board on which I write each day's chores and I'm doing pretty well keeping up with it.  Though, with three little kids, you might not be able to tell that I disinfected the whole kitchen a couple hours again, it has been done.  And we get most of the toys picked up by bedtime.  And my shelves/filing system is a LOT better than it was.  Progress.

8) Seek counseling. Hasn't happened.  In general, I'm feeling better.  If I need to later, I've given myself the go-ahead.

9) Spend more time outside. The weather has been gorgeous lately.  We're not getting out as much as I hoped, but we've had some good back-yard time and we spent almost all afternoon tromping around Grandma's farm on Sunday.  Praise God for the weather, we've been blessed!

10) Count my blessings.  Yes and yes!  Several times a day I'm stopping to be thankful for what I have.  It seems like there are more and more reminders each day of how quickly we can lose the things we treasure, so I'm doing my best to treasure them while I have them.  

Well, that's my recap - looks like I've got my work cut out for me!  Wish me luck!  How have your journeys been going?

Stuff I LoveFacebookTwitterPinterestBloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of doing a similar post. Looks like you are doing well with yours! Yay. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything I should have on my list. I should just print yours out and follow it. It will save me a step. This is a really good list. Thanks for being an example to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Feel free to leave comments, ask questions or tell me a story. I'll try to respond to you in a timely manner.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...